How to tie a Clouser Minnow by Capt. Matthew Thomas RipLips.com

I think of the Clouser Minnow as the gold standard of streamers. This fly is my favorite for many reasons:

  • Rides hook point up
  • Can be weighted for any need
  • Can be sized for any fish
  • Can be tied with infinate color scheme
  • Easy to tie well

I move this fly smooth with a combined, steady stripping and sweeping motion to make them give chase. Tarpon, Bonefish, Trout, Carp; the Clouser Minnow is a "sticky" pattern.

The trick I have learned about tying the Mighty Clouser Minnow...

Simplicity.

Keep it simple, tight, slender.

I have learned to organize my bucktail without using a hair stacker. I also set my hook the opposite of normal with the hook point up. (It helps to have a rotary vise)

This particular fly is intended to catch trout. I tie a rig with two Clouser Minnows blood knotted, 20" from each other, on 15-20 lb. flourocarbon. (any colors, as long as they are tan and white)

You'll notice I chose a 2x or 3x long shank hook. I find having a longer hook takes advantage of those pesky trout short strikes. I also recognize that a Clouser constantly moving has more tendency to keep a strike than a jerked fly, where half the time, there is slack line and no direct contact to hit the strike.

The Clouser Minnow is what all other steamers aspire to be.

www.RipLips.com





Clean your computer. Stop crashes and annoying errors.

Have you ever thought about how much you could save buying from government auctions?
Click Here To Learn More About Auctions

No comments: